Next Sunday, May 14, is Mother’s Day!
It’s not what we have in life, but who we have in our life that matters most. At this time, it refers especially to our mothers, and all those that mother us. Thank God for their unconditional love this day and every day.
- As most of you already know, on Pentecost Sunday, May 28, 2023, the Diocese will lift all remaining restrictions that were imposed in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Even though parishes may return to sharing the common cup during the Eucharistic celebration, it is still up to the individual whether he/she wants to be part of the sharing. Also, with respect to masks, although not mandatory, it is still encouraged especially when in close contact with others.
- On Thursday, May 11, which is tomorrow, the parish is hosting the Queen’s College Convocation at 2 p.m. A reception which includes refreshments will follow the service. It is hoped that many will contribute food items such as cookies, sandwiches, muffins, etc. for this reception. Dropping these food items to the church by noon tomorrow would be great! Thanks so much.
- May 28, 2023, is going to be a special day for many young people in the parishes of the Church of the Good Shepherd, the Ascension, St. Michael and All Angels, and St. Mary the Virgin. On that day Confirmation will take place at the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist at 2 p.m. for the confirmation candidates in these parishes. All are welcome!
- I presume most of you have read the announcements of the appointments to our Parish: Ven. Nancy March to be Rector, effective August 1, 2023, and the Rev’d Scott Winsor to be Assisting Priest (half-time) effective June 16, 2023.
- Keep a look out for the date and time because a Clean-up day for the grounds of the Ascension will take place very soon. As you all may be aware such a day is quite necessary if you take a look when you come to a service. Thanks for your anticipated help when the date is set!
- Have you decided to take a turn or two and read for one of the services from May to September? Just sign at the entrance to the church or call the office during a week day before noon and sign up!
- As you now know, Bishop Romero of Guatemala is visiting, and you are being given the opportunity to attend his service/get-together either in person or online. Just check the Chimes from last Sunday to know where and when you can have this opportunity. (The Chimes is also always posted to the Parish facebook and the Parish’s website.)
- Several of you have been asking about the Set Sail initiative of the diocese. If you would like to read further about it, go to anglicanenl.net and read all about it. In reference to the initiative, there is a special meeting at the Ascension for members of several parishes on May 31, 7 to 9 p.m.
Have a nice weekend! God Bless you all!
Jean (On behalf of the Ascension)