Trinity Sunday is next Sunday, the first Sunday after Pentecost. It celebrates the oneness of God in the three forms: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. It is not an easy doctrine to understand. I have heard it explained to children by having them think of an apple – one apple with three different parts – the skin, the flesh, and the seed, but one apple; or some say Trinity is like an egg consisting of three different parts – the shell, the white, and the yoke, but only one egg.
(Although the New Testament contains no explicit doctrine of the Trinity, many Christian theologians hold that the doctrine can easily be inferred from what the New Testament does say about God.)
Just a few reminders for you as things wind down for the summer:
- This evening, May 31, at 7 o’clock, you can learn more about the Set Sail Diocesan Initiative as parishioners from St. Paul’s (Goulds), Petty Harbour, St. Mary’s, and the Church of the Good Shepherd will join us in our auditorium along with Diocesan representatives. There we will have a chance to discuss the plans and understand what we are being invited to do.
- Our church has a need for organist/pianist for the Sunday morning 11 a.m. services during July and August. All that is required of you is (with the use of the organ or piano) to play a prelude, five hymns, and a postlude. If you are interested, please contact the organist at [email protected] or call the church office at 709-368-5693.
- If you have a son/daughter 8 to 14 years of age who would like to attend a co-ed youth camp, this information is for you. The Diocese of Central Newfoundland is hosting this camp from July 24 to July 28 at Lion’s Max Simms Memorial Camp located at the Great Rattling depot on the Exploits River. Further information and camp applications are available at the church’s entrance.
- There are still many people in our parish who rely on the Food Bank quite often these days. Please pick up an item or two for them when you are buying your groceries and place them in the food bank box at the church’s entrance. Thanks for all your support!
- A community free take-out meal is available at the entrance of the Church of the Good Shepherd this evening. So, if you, or someone you know, need a nice hot take-out meal, then head to the Good Shepherd between 5 and 6 p.m. and there will be one waiting for you.
- If your child or grandchild is hoping to get a job this summer, here may be an opportunity! We are hoping to hire someone for a summer student position. If there is someone out there interested in applying, please forward an application with your resume to [email protected] by noon on Friday, June 9. Or you may drop one off at the church office any weekday from 9 to noon.
Have a great weekend and hopefully a warm one!
Jean (On behalf of the Ascension)