A couple of Sundays ago, Archdeacon Nancy made reference to gifts God has given us, and how important it is to use these gifts. Many hands are needed to do God’s work in the world, and we are all gifted in one way or another to help with His Work. Let us in this new year consider how we can be God’s hands in this work by using the gifts he has given us, And let us hope that ‘when we stand before God at the end of our life, we will not have a single bit of talent left and can say ‘I used everything you gave me.’ (Idea taken from a quote by Erma Bombeck).
- On that beginning note, consider the ministries available to you and how you would like to be involved in one of these ministries: for example, being part of the Parish Network and making contact with shut-ins once or twice a month, joining the choir, becoming a sidesperson, helping with the Ascension café, being a regular contributor to the food bank, training to be a Eucharistic minister, and the list goes on.
- Next Sunday, January 21, there will be an 8:30 a.m. service followed by Ascension Café at 9:30 a.m.
- Confirmation candidates, mark your calendars for Sunday, January 28, because there will be a Confirmation Preparation class at 2 p.m. on that day.
- The ecumenical service for the Week of Prayer for Christian Unity will be on Sunday, January 21, at 2:30 p.m. at the Salvation Army Citadel on Adam’s Avenue, St. John’s. You are invited to attend a social hour after the service.
- Come and join us on January 28 at 11 a.m. for a family service followed by a time of fellowship in the auditorium. As usual, donations of cookies and sandwiches will be most gratefully accepted.
- If you plan to attend the DAMA service and dinner meeting on January 28, at 6 o’clock, please RSVP by January 25 to Gary King (709-691-3902) or Harvey Hiscock at (709-697-5280).
- Do you have your 2024 church envelopes yet? If not, they are still waiting for you at the entrance to the church. It would also be appreciated if you could take a few extra ones to deliver to those whose envelopes are still there.
- Many people find it difficult to make ends meet these days. Please help them by contributing a grocery or two to the food bank box. Thanks in advance for your continued help.
Have a great weekend!
God Bless you all,
Jean (On behalf of the Ascension)