This coming Saturday, November 11, is Remembrance Day!
“They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old: Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning, We will remember them.”
These are the words we often hear on Remembrance Day. And remember them, we must; if we do not, the sacrifice of thousands of Canadian lives will be meaningless. They died for us, for their homes, families, and friends, and for a future they believed in – they died for Canada.
A few notices you may want to attend to:
- For those who attended the All Souls’ Service and for those who watched online, I am sure you will agree it was a very moving service indeed – the choir especially is to be commended for their wonderful rendition of Amazing Grace.
- Don’t forget to sign up for the Advent Bible Study starting Wednesday, November 29, at 10:30 a.m. A list is being compiled at the entrance to the church or you can call the office at 709-368-5693.
- Next card game is on Monday, November 20, at 2 p.m. Just come along with your $6, your cards, and your baskets and have an enjoyable afternoon.
- Note especially the fall card game and luncheon on Saturday, November 25. Tell your friends and neighbours about it – lunch at noon (soup and sandwiches) and card game at 2 – you can choose both or attend either. The cost is $10 for lunch and $5 for the card game. To add to the excitement there will be a table with ladies’ accessories, craft goods, baked goods, and preserves for sale. The success of this event depends of course on your support both in attending and in donating for the ‘tables.’ Thanks in advance for your help as always.
- There is another community supper take-out meal this evening. That’s at the entrance to the Church of the Good Shepherd, today, November 8, between 5 and 6 p.m. If a nice hot meal is what you need, come along, and pick one up.
- The food bank is most appreciative of your donations of groceries. Please continue.
- Youth group – another get-together is planned for Friday, November 10, at the Church of the Good Shepherd from 7 to 9. Come and bring a friend!
- On Sunday, November 12, there will be another opportunity for you to have tea/coffee, toast, and treats at the Ascension Café!
- By the way, the office will be closed on Monday, November 13, in observance of Remembrance Day.
That’s it, folks, Enjoy the long weekend!
Jean (On behalf of the Ascension)